NIFT TEST PATTERN

NIFT EXAM-TEST PATTERN

For Design (Bachelors & Masters)

The Design aspirants will be required to write two papers, which are:

Creative Ability Test (CAT):

It is a three hour exam, held only in the paper based pattern, in which the students will be required to draw and illustrate a set of questions which aim at testing students on their imagination, creative ideas and drawing and illustration skills. The questions target the student’s ability to think and draw in 3D through object and space design, perspective, human figures in proportion and action, communication visuals and more from every day observation and creative and lateral thinking, colour aesthetics.

General Ability Test (GAT):

This is a two hour examination held on the same day after CAT, which carries objective type questions, 150 in number, a mix bag of Quantitative aptitude (Maths, till class 10 level) - 25 questions, General English (language) - 35 questions, Business Domain (GK, Current Affairs and Fashion Awareness)-30 questions, Reasoning (verbal & non-verbal)-30 questions, English comprehension -30 questions. There is no negative marking; hence students are advised not to leave any question unattempted, even if it means reserving last five minutes just to completely shade the OMR answer sheet.

The score of the written exam shall be considered on the following basis: For bachelors: 50% weightage from CAT paper and 30% weightage from GAT paper i.e. total 80% weightage from the written exam. The shortlisted students are called upon, by March 3rd week, for the second stage which is Situation Test, held in 3rd week of April, in the ratio of 1:4. Situation test is a practical creative exam which tests students on material handling, concept realisation, execution techniques and presentation skills. This carries 20% weightage in the final merit along with the above 80%.

For Masters

The contribution of the two papers vary: 40% weightage from CAT paper and 30% weightage from GAT paper i.e. total 70% weightage from the written exams. The shortlisted students are called upon, by March 3rd week, for the second stage which is Group Discussion/ Personal Interview (GDPI), held in last week of April, in the ratio of 1:4. This carries 30% weightage (15% each) in the final merit along with the above 70%. Here, the portfolio is a very important aspect which is evaluated during the interview.

For Technology (Bachelor’s/ Masters)

For BFTech, students need to appear for only one stage and only one written examination paper i.e. the General Ability test (GAT).This is different from design entrance exam as it is a three hour objective pattern examination and evaluates a candidate beside the above mentioned subjects. Candidates are also tested on Managerial Ability portion, which carries Case studies, Logical and Analytical reasoning and data interpretation too. The 150 questions thus are in the mix as given:

Quantitative aptitude (Maths, class 10 & above level)-30 questions

General English (language) & comprehension- 45 questions

Business Domain (GK, Current Affairs and Fashion & Industry Awareness)-25 questions

Reasoning (Analytical, logical & data interpretation)-25 questions

Case Study -25 questions.

For MFTech, students need to appear for two stages i.e. one written examination paper which is the General Ability test (GAT) as per the above mentioned Technology pattern followed by the second stage of Group Discussion/ Personal Interview (GDPI), held in last week of April/first week of May, in the ratio of 1:4. This carries 30% weightage (15% each) in the final merit along with the 70% of GAT.

For Management (Masters)

Comprises of two stages again: written General Ability test (GAT) paper inclusive of Managerial ability, same as that of technology, a three hour exam, varying in the sectional mix:

Quantitative aptitude (Math's upto class 10 level)-10 questions

General English (language) & comprehension- 50 questions

Business Domain (GK, Current Affairs and Fashion & Industry Awareness)-25 questions

Reasoning (Analytical, logical & data interpretation)-25 questions, Case Study -40 questions